I'M FREE!!!
I'm free of all the doctor's visits - I'm healed!! And even better, I'm free of my old job!! Let me start from while I was on medical leave...
My old employer has a policy for paid medical leave. As payroll processor, I saw firsthand the kind of payments that were made - and I know that they have paid people 100% for 6-8 weeks. So, since I've been there as long as the people I've seen them pay that way, I figured I would be treated the same. WRONG. I only got 100% for a few weeks and then I was knocked down to just a percentage of my pay. When I called HR to ask about it, I was told that I wasn't entitled to the 100% pay for as long as the other people. THEN I was informed, rudely, that FMLA rules don't apply to me (as far as being able to be off for up to 12 weeks and still have a job to return to) because my position is one that no one else is trained to fill - I took that as a threat to my job security. After that, I was chastised for "stringing" them along - they thought every week that I would be back the next week and then they would find out that I was going to be off for yet another week. I told them that wasn't true - that I had informed my boss and another HR representative that I would be out for an undetermined length of time. It wasn't my fault if they ASSUMED that length of time would only be a week.
Anyway - this horrible conversation happened on a Friday, and I felt sick all over again afterward because I was afraid I was going to loose my job when I got better. God was watching over me though....
The recruiter I had been working with before I fell ill called me and told me that a company I had previously expressed an interest in had an opening and they wanted to interview me. By this time, I knew that I was going to be returning to work after my next Dr visit AND I was afraid I'd be losing my job, so I agreed to meet with them. The meeting went well and they called me in for a 2nd interview the day of my doctor appointment. That meeting also went very well. When I went to the doctor, I was told I could return to work the next Tuesday. I informed my current employer the same day.
The next day, I received a phone call from my recruiter stating that the new company wanted to extend an offer of employment - he told me what they were offering, and I tentatively agreed verbally. The next morning, I received an official offer letter from them via e-mail. I signed the offer letter and wrote my resignation letter to my old employer. Then I went to the plant to deliver the letter personally. I was only giving them a week's notice, partly because I was so upset at how they had treated me and partly because the new employer wanted me to start 7-2-07. They accepted the letter and said that they wanted me to work the following week so I could complete a few tasks and train someone to handle my responsibilities.
However, when I arrived to work on Tuesday, I was summoned to HR before I even made it to my desk. When I got to HR, I was informed that they had decided to accept my resignation effective immediately. I was thrilled!! I didn't really want to go back to work for them anyway - I was only agreeing to do it so that I was so unprofessional as to quit without notice. I packed up my personal belongings and came home. I just wish they would have told me that Friday when I brought the letter in - it would have saved me some gas!
When I got home, I called my recruiter and told him the news. He then called my new employer and they asked if I could start the next day. So, I started my new job 3 business days sooner than planned.
And I love it!! The people are great - the company is strong - the job will be challenging yet do-able - the pay is much better. I am so happy!! My old job had me absolutely miserable for a very long time - it's great to finally be in a happy, stable environment!!
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poppa & I send congratulations to you. It is so great to hear you sound soooooo happy with your new job.
Woo Hoo!! Good for you girl! I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm glad you're thrilled with your new job!
Post a Comment